The restorers are justly proud of what has been accomplished here, although per lot of the attuale work has vanished
- The third register depicted four popes. The two on the right are: John VII (with a square halo) and Leo the Great; sicuro the right, unknown (Gregory the Great is per good guess) and Martin I.
- Adoration of the Crucified. Above the apse is per monumental giovane, the left half now destroyed but fairly intact when it was discovered mediante 1702. Christ crucified is durante the centre, and above him are the choirs of angels. A Greek epigraph is preciso the right of the ciclocross, quoting Old Testament prophecies concerning the Messiah. The nations on earth are represented at the bottom.
The Palimpsest [ ]
The palimpsest giovane to the right of the apse is the most important and famous rete informatica of art sopra the church. Esatto view it, binoculars are useful. There are three discernible figurative layers, durante order of age (the restorers found trace evidence of verso fourth fresco scheme, which is undateable):
- Our Lady, Queen. This was painted very shortly after 554, when the Completare returned preciso Rome, and displays an accomplished late Classical style (amico the apse mosaic at Santa Pudenziana). Our Lady, holding the Christ-child, is actually depicted as an enthroned Roman empress. She is dressed in purple, with per stole encrusted with enormous pearls and gems and with a matching crown. The throne is also thus encrusted, with verso scarlet cushion. She is attended by two women sopra white robes fringed per gold; the one on the left is destroyed, and the right hand one is offering something sopra a bowl. Padrino this nuovo with the mosaic depiction of Empress Theodora at San Beni, Ravenna and with per similar recente in the segreto tempio of San Mite.
- Annunciation. It is thought that this was painted after the church was fitted out. You can see much of the angel above the attendant just mentioned, and the lucky survival of per fragment of Our Lady’s face floats to the culmine right of the Queen’s halo.
- St Gregory Nazianzen. The final layer depicts one of the eight Doctors of the Church originally depicted sopra this register (only bits of three survive). They are on per blue sostrato, and the mid-8th century style is now Byzantine. St Gregory’s face is just preciso the right of the Queen’s, and he has a Greek label “St Gregory the Theologian” which is is name sopra the East. (The restorers concluded that only St Gregory was part of the Pope John scheme, https://worldbrides.org/it/filter/islanda-donne-single/ and that the other two doctors below are earlier -perhaps Pope Martin. If so, then the giovane seems to have been overpainted with the same theme.)
Chapel of Theodotus [ ]
At the end of the left aisle is the Chapel of Theodotus, actually verso shrine esatto the martyrs SS Quricus and Julitta.
This rectangular room has two entrances, the main one from the end of the aisle being embellished with a pair of rather crude fresco date palms on its jambs. The right hand wall has a near side entrance from the bema, and the archaeologists have pecked at the fabric puro demonstrate that the doorway was narrowed before the nuovo cycle was painted. Con the same wall at the far end is per rectangular niche -this might have been just verso broom-cupboard or something similar.
The original decoration was decorative polychrome stone opus sextile revetting per geometric patterns, and the backing tiles for this are visible. The date is thought preciso be 2nd century, per little later than the actual construction of the chamber. When the giovane cycle was commissioned, the lower registers of this revetting was removed onesto make room but the upper ones were left. When the church was abandoned, the rest of the revetting was carefully scavenged -this is evidence against the old intenzione that the church was buried in rubble during the 847 earthquake.